Postcards #1-6, 9 published by Adirondack Museum
In 1947 William Wessels, owner of the Blue Mountain House, and Harold K. Hochschild (1892-1981) of Eagle’s Nest began discussing the possibility of creating a museum that could house memorabilia and artifacts from the Adirondacks, a time in history that was fast disappearing.
As a result of that meeting, the Adirondack Historical Association was formed, and purchased the Blue Mountain House as the future museum site. In 1954 one of their first acquisitions was the old Engine No. 2 from the Marion River Carry Railroad on Raquette Lake, donated by Herb Birrell.
Ten years after that first meeting, the Adirondack Museum opened on the site of the old Blue Mountain House, half way up Blue Mountain. The 1881 Ehninger oil painting of the Mission of the Good Shepherd is housed there, as well as the brass cannon that was fired each Sunday morning on Bluff Point on Raquette Lake to let people know the church boat was approaching to bring them to St. Hubert’s.
Admission is kept at an affordable price for families, there are many child-friendly exhibits with hands-on activities – and the view is superb.
Return to Blue Mountain Photos