Photos 1880-1920 Slideshow

 

Return to Photos 1880-1920 Index


 

 1880churchinadirondacks1L

S.R. Stoddard 1880

The Works of Cady, Berg & See Architectural Record
vol VI p 548
Courtesy U of Penn
Fisher Fine Arts Library

  Island Church, Raquette Lake #792
 1880churchinadirondacks2L

S.R. Stoddard 1880

The Works of Cady, Berg & See Architectural Record
vol VI p 548
Courtesy U of Penn
Fisher Fine Arts Library

Island Church, Raquette Lake #790
 1880churchinadirondacks3L

S.R. Stoddard 1880 (Before Tiffany windows were installed)

The Works of Cady, Berg & See Architectural Record
vol VI p 548
Courtesy U of Penn
Fisher Fine Arts Library

 Interior Island Church, Raquette Lake #794
1880CHRH-M

Edward Bierstadt, NYC 1885

“Church on St. Hubert’s Isle, Raquette Lake”
The new mission church, built by William West Durant, consecrated 12 September 1880 by Bishop Doane of Albany.
The Bierstadt brothers, Edward (1824-1906), Albert (1830-1902) and Charles, were landscape photographers, painters, illustrators and engravers, of whom Albert was the most recognized.
1881-Ehninger-color-L

J W Ehninger 1881
On loan for 100th anniversary 1980

“Mission Church on St. Hubert’s Island, Raquette Lake, 1881”
25 x 33 1/2 oil painting by John Whetten Ehninger (American painter, b 1827 NYC, d 1889 Saratoga Springs, NY)
Original painting is now the property of the Adirondack Museum
Blue Mountain Lake, NY
Ehninger was an important chronicler of American life, including October, Yankee Peddler and his interpretation of Washington’s First Interview with Mrs. Custis, which took place in May 1758. George and Martha were married in January 1759.
1892Stoddard-large

Seneca Ray Stoddard c1892

“St Hubert’s Isle, Raquette Lake”
A collection of Stoddard’s work,
“Early Days in the Adirondacks:
The Photographs of Seneca Ray Stoddard”
has been published by Jeanne Winston Adler (1997).
Many of the original photos are on display at the Adirondack Museum
Blue Mountain Lake, NY
Rectory12

S R Stoddard c1892
detail

Good Shepherd Rectory 1882-1914
The original rectory and all the early church records
were destroyed by fire in 1914.
Path to boathouse1902

William Henry Jackson 1902

Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

  “A Glimpse of Raquette Lake from St. Hubert’s”
What a surprise to find a photo of our dock from 100 years ago! Note the wooden flooring built part way up the path from the dock, covering all the rough spots.

Jackson_RL_from_St_Huberts_Isle1902

William Henry Jackson 1902
Cardozo Fine Art

 “A Glimpse of Raquette Lake from St. Hubert’s”
The same photo colorized by the Detroit Publishing Company, using the Photochrom process with crushed stones. I couldn’t believe it when I found this photo on the Internet – the dock and boathouse were exactly like this in 1958 when we first arrived.
Original of 1902 postcard

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

“Looking East from St. Hubert’s Isle”
William C. Jackson (1843-1942) was a world famous photographer born in Keeseville, NY.
In 1889 he was recruited to be president of the Detroit Photographic Company, leading publisher of colored postcards at the turn of the century.
1902dock

William Henry Jackson 1902
Gift from Warder Cadbury

 “Raquette Lake from St. Hubert’s Isle Adirondack Mtns”
The same scene on a 1902 postcard.Church-goers who forsake the larger boats,
arrived on their own in guide boats, canoes and row boats. The present-day boat house was built using the same flooring shown above.
Close Up of Cove 1902

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

“The Antlers from St. Hubert’s Isle”
A closer view of St. Hubert’s Cove. Note the original boathouse, with open sides, similar to Echo Camp. We are still using the same flooring and paddle racks.
St Huberts Cove 1907

Williams Henry Jackson 1907
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 “Boat Landing on St. Hubert’s Isle, Adirondack Mountains”
Between the trees was a rustic wooden bridge, joining the main island to the peninsula. It was one of the scenic features of St. Hubert’s at the turn of the century, quoted in poetry and photographs.
1905Rustic-Bridge-M

Stanley Brown-Serman

Four-Track News, NYC July 1905

St. Hubert’s Rustic Bridge
1905 Between main island & Blueberry Peninsula on previous photo
1885-FAIRVIEW-M

E Bierstadt NYC 1885
Gift of Mrs. Perry Mackey

“Camp Fairview”
1879 – c1922
Click Here to Read More
1880phto1

Edward Bierstadt NYC 1885

 “Saint Hubert’s Isle from Camp Fairview”
The church is barely visible behind the tree on the right. The original rectory was donated by William West Durant in 1882.
Edward Bierstadt also held an 1876 patent for an improvement to the Stereoscope Viewer, used for the extensive body of stereographs created by the Bierstadt brothers.

Islandpc2

Edward Bierstadt 1885
Gift from Warder Cadbury

“St. Hubert’s Isle, Raquette Lake, Adirondacks, NY”
The same scene, taken from Osprey Island, on a penny postcard,
postmarked 13 October 1919 from Port Byron NY to Weedsport NY
1892Stoddard-St-Huberts-La

S. R. Stoddard

Courtesy Lisa Slaski
NYS Forest Commission Report 1898

 St. Hubert’s Isle – Raquette LakeView from Wee Two and Little Osprey Islands

Fairview from St Huberts 1902

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 “Camp La Rue from St. Hubert’s”
100 years later the view from the rectory porch remains the same, but for the boathouse which was moved to the east.
The photographer labeled this
“Camp La Rue,” but Fairview had been purchased from Charles Durant by the J. Harvey Ladew family of New York City.
Islands from North

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 “Raquette Lake from the Crags”
The island group, Osprey, St. Hubert’s and Strawberry, looking south from the Crags above Brightside, which has recently been reopened as a conference center.

Jackson_RL_from_The_Crags1902

William Henry Jackson 1902
Cardozo Fine Art

 “Raquette Lake from the Crags”
The same photo after using Photochrom developed in Switzerland. Jackson’s decision in 1898 to head the Detroit Publishing Company was influenced by their owning the patent for this process.
RLAM

Postcard courtesy of Caroline L. Russom

 “Raquette Lake, Adirondack Mountains”
The Island group from the Antlers – Osprey with red-roofed buildings intact, Strawberry in foreground,
St. Hubert’s (hiding Little Osprey) and Wee Two hidden on the right.
Blue Mtn from the Antlers

Postcard courtesy of Caroline L. Russom

 “Blue Mountain from the ‘Antlers,’ Raquette Lake”
Guide boats on the sandy beach at the Antlers
Better guide boat

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

“Antlers Casino”
Guideboat leaving the Antlers – these wonderful flat-bottomed boats were light enough to be supported on the shoulders of the the guides as they led vacationers over the many carries between the lakes.A larger version was used on Sunday mornings to transport visitors to church. In 1880 Good Shepherd was the only church within a 25-mile radius.
Early Durant leaving Antlers

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 Raquette Lake, the Antlers casino
[Steamer ‘Adirondack’ leaving the Antlers for Marion River Carry RR]
Early Durant at Antlers

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 Raquette Lake, the Antlers casino
[Double-decker steamer ‘Adirondack’ at Antlers]
Launch at Antlers

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 Raquette Lake, Adirondacks, NY
[Steamer Killoquah at Antlers]
Marion River Carry 1902

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

1902 Marion River Carry
Outlet of Blue Mtn Lake, Adirondacks

Postcard courtesy of Caroline L. Russom

 “Outlet of Blue Mountain Lake, Adirondack Mtns”
Small steamer, leaving Blue Mountain for Eagle Lake.
Bridge at outlet of Blue Mountain Lake

Postcard courtesy of Caroline L. Russom

 “Bridge at Outlet of Blue Mountain Lake”
Small steamer leaving private Eagle lake, headed toward Raquette Lake.
Prospect House

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 The Utowana, Blue Mountain Lake
[Prospect House 1881-1915]
1902 Thomas Edison installed generator 1881, first hotel in the world to have electric light in all 300 rooms
Guideboat on shoulders

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 An Adirondack Carry, Raquette Lake c1900-1910
Stagecoach c1900

William Henry Jackson c1900
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 Stagecoach in Adirondacks
William Henry Jackson 1902

William Henry Jackson 1902
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 Interior Photographic Railroad Car1902 – “Lush interior of the late gilded age carriage…walls covered with panoramic Western landscape photographs” Tuomi Forrest, U of Virginia
 1905-1920Landing_at_Hunters_Rest1905-1920Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection
 Raquette Lake, Hunters’ Rest Camp, the landing
 1910-An-Open-CampL

c1909-10

Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 An Open Camp, Raquette Lake
 1902Jackson-Lower-PhostintL

William Henry Jackson c1902

Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 Marion River [lower] carry, Adirondack Mountains
 1900-05Casino_at_the_Antlers

c1900-1905

Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

  Casino at the Antlers (sign on front reads “Hotel Office and Store”)
 1900-10WeeTwo

William Henry Jackson c1900-1910

Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division,
Detroit Publishing Company Collection

 Raquette Lake, Adirondacks, NY
[Little Osprey and Wee Two Islands from St. Hubert’s]
 1900-Church-RectoryL

D&H Railroad “Manual of Excursions, Fares, Hotels and Boarding Houses”

Carmichael Family Trust

 St. Hubert’s Isle
pub 1900 – rare photo of original rectory
 1880-Stoddard-2403Lstereoview by S.R. Stoddard
1880
Carmichael Family Trust
 Island Church, Raquette Lake 1880
1995blow-3L

F Carmichael 1995

Over 160 trees have come down since 1950

The great blow in November 1950 took down at least 60 large trees, so that as late as 1959 it was impossible to walk from one end of the island to the other without crawling through dead branches.

Another 70 trees came down during the microburst of 1986, and 27 more in July 1995.
These were the last of the large birch, seen in the earliest photographs. They completely covered the boathouse. It took three chainsaws and five men to clear the paths, including Raymond and Ray, Sr., above.

img91

RM Carmichael 1959

St Hubert’s Isle from Bird’s Seaplane
View of St. Hubert’s with tiny Strawberry Island in the background.
Four of the five islands in the group joined together to have a
telephone cable installed in 1962, and then electricity in 1967.
 Gazebo1

RM Carmichael 1969

The dock for the ‘Church Boat’ was to the left of the gazebo

A great dock at the east end of St. Hubert’s accommodated the largest boats on the lake. One type of ‘Church Boat’ was built like a guide boat, but over-sized with extra seating.

One of these lovely craft is afloat at the Adirondack Museum, more practical for getting one to Church on time than for stalking deer.

 Coveview

F Carmichael 1995

St. Hubert’s Cove

Looking east from the cove at St. Hubert’s. Rock Island in the foreground and Wee Two Island in the background, left of center.

 Flatrock1

RM Carmichael 1969

 Flat Rock
Church seen from Flat Rock in the 1960s, before we lost all the trees.
Still a popular spot for canoes to pull up, afternoon cook-outs
and evening bonfires.
2005-Front-L Guest Cottage
The cottage was built in 1917 between the church and the site of the old rectory.
The Brown-Serman family summered there while their new home was under construction, 1917-1918.The three rooms were totally renovated by Ralph Carmichael in 1973, adding a water line, telephone and electricity. The back porch was converted into a bathroom with a shower stall and storage closet.More Cottage Photos
Nicdraw1

Nicolas Ralph Paul Carmichael 1997

Sketch of Church
This is the first view most visitors have of the little chapel, walking up the path from the cove.