Panorama 1 – Sunset Camp – Main House, Summer House, Boat House
Panorama 2 – Sunset Camp – Main House with additions, Summer House
Sunset Camp was built in 1895 by Richard V. Bennett (1875?-1924) on Woods Point, on the other side of the peninsula from what is now the Raquette Lake Boys Camp. Dick was the younger half-brother of Ed and Charlie who settled on the lake in 1878, each of whom built successful hotels.
Edward Bennett (1854-1932) ran Under the Hemlocks on Long Point from 1879-1889 when he sold to the Finck brothers who renamed it the Raquette Lake Hotel. It burned down for a second time in 1899 and this time was not replaced. Charles H. Bennett (1856-1915) was the proprietor of the Antlers from 1887 until his death. Most of the Antlers is still standing.
A 1900 railway brochure lists the proprietor of Sunset Camp as R. Bennett, with rates of $10-15 a week and $2 a day, fresh milk, fruit and vegetables from nearby farms.
The hotel started with one main house and two cottages for 25 guests but its popularity soon required additional cabins, tents, a gazebo and boating facilities. The camp was later expanded by Dick’s son-in-law, Maurice A. Jones, married to Bennett’s daughter, who is well remembered as a genial host through the 1940s and 50s.
1940s Brochure – Maurice Jones (Bennett’s son-in-law)
This 1940s brochure emphasizes the absence of autos – no noise, no gasoline fumes. All cars were garaged in the village and guests arrived by steamer or camp launch.
Sadly, in the late 1990s squatters burned down the main house. The present owners were building a log cabin on the site and much of the remaining property has been subdivided into private camps.
Thanks to Larry Miller for his many contributions to this page.